In the last few years, the development of smart technology has gained great momentum. Its popularity and uses in our daily lives are increasing at such a rate that we can’t even imagine our future without smart devices. The devices operating on smart technology are helping us in a number of things and providing us great comfort and convenience. But anything in excess is pollution, and so is the case with smart technology.
Although smart technology provides us great help in communication facilities, security, transportation, and many other things, they are also susceptible to cyber-attack. Whether it’s your mobile, computer, car, home security system, or office, the risks associated with smart technology are everywhere. We have heard before that no technology is one hundred percent foolproof, and you can’t keep smart technology out of it. But to minimize the risks associated with smart technology, we must have proper knowledge about them.
Let’s see what are the risks associated with smart technology that we have to deal with.
- Today, we are living in this world more independently than any human generation has ever lived. This independence has also generated a feeling in us that we must have privacy in our lives. We want to hide our personal lives from other people and to restrict them from interfering in any manner. It is also one of our fundamental rights. But with the advent of smart technology, there is a constant fear of privacy intrusion.
- Wherever we are, we are not alone. Not a bad thing to say, but if the technology is in the wrong hands, then malefactors of society can intrude in our personal space and find ways to harm us.
- They can keep an eye on our daily activities, control our security cameras, and even take out money from our bank account. Apart from criminals intruding on our privacy, there are smart devices available in the market that can record our activities and upload them over the internet for people to see or hear.
- Many of the smart devices available in the market today do not contain proper security features. The manufactures of these devices ask for your personal information to provide you on-sale and after-sale services. But remember if this personal information falls into third-party hands, the cyber attackers can intrude into your privacy and create problems in your life.
- It is the last thing that we want to happen with us related to smart technology. Cyberattack is a term that people use to describe any type of unwanted indulgence from other people through the internet that could harm them.
- Cyber attacks are becoming one of the key issues in security for the entire world because malefactors are finding new ways every day to catch internet users on their web.
- Smart technology gives ways to criminals to control someone else’s electronic gadgets, altering or destroying personal and sensitive information, and interfering with their business processes, operations, and strategies.
- Apart from that, the cyber attackers can also control your smart door locks, thermostat, security cameras, alarms, and lights too. Research has shown us that when you connect your appliances to your smart devices which are connected with the internet, your internet device, or the router, becomes vulnerable to cyber attack, due to which other linked devices also come under danger.
- Businesses are also very prone to cyberattack. In the offices, all computers are connected to each other and also to printers, scanners, speakerphones, and projectors. Cyber Attackers can hack these devices to steal sensitive information that can create serious threats to any company.
- You must have heard about this term if you use the internet. Identity theft has raised concerns for everybody because it doesn’t matter if you are a student, have a job, or run a business; if you are a normal person or a celebrity, you can be a victim of identity theft.
- With the help of smart technology, criminals can steal your identity and perform erroneous activities in your name. They can access your bank account, passwords and even commit serious crimes in your name.
- Cases of identity theft show us how important it is for us to use smart devices responsibly. These devices, if accessed by the wrong people, can put us in great danger because then the criminals will use them to commit crimes and the owner of the device, in whose name the device is registered, will be answerable to the authorities.
Power outages and technology failure
- Needless to say that the automated systems working on electricity will be shut down once the power is cut out. Until the power is on in your home or workplace, you won’t be able to use the devices. However, smart devices come with batteries that keep them in running condition all the time, but a risk of draining the battery is always there till you connect them back to the power supply.
- Mainly, all smart devices are connected to the internet for their functioning. These devices are also most vulnerable to stop working when the power is out. This mainly happens because the device which is providing us internet stops functioning.
- Today, security systems are also connected to the internet. When the power is out, they stop relaying information until the power is restored. This non-functioning state of the security monitoring devices poses threat to our life and property from other people.
- Technological or machine failure is another major concern in smart devices and throws different challenges towards us regarding their maintenance. For their proper functioning all the time, they require regular maintenance and services that can keep them in good condition.
- All smart devices should be working in good condition because they fail while operating, they may cause you inconvenience, vulnerability, and even create some serious troubles for you, such as a security threat.
While we have extensively discussed what are the risks associated with smart technology, one cannot deny its usefulness either. So it is for the best if we stay cautious about our smart devices and use them responsibly.